I can’t believe how fast 2012 passed by and that 2013 is only a few hours away. Here are just a few of the highlights that have made 2013 a year to remember:
1) On February 17 we moved in to our first home. Much of our spare time in 2012 was spent on our house – from unpacking, to purchasing new furniture and accents, to building a fence and deck – there wasn’t a spare moment, especially over the summer. One of my favourite memories is building the fence with our neighbours. If we didn’t know we would be great friends before that July long weekend, this project definitely sealed it.
2) The summer reminded me of some the things I was looking forward to most with coming home – +30C days with +20C overnights, trips to the lake and camping without multiple sleeping bags. We weren’t able to make a trip to BC to camp, but we spent an amazing week camping Saskatchewan style with some of our favourite people.
3) I was honoured when my brother’s fiancé asked me to be part of her bridal party. I’m beyond excited to get a sister (officially) in August 2013!
4) Although I didn’t need to leave to get hot weather this summer, I took advantage of the opportunity to visit a friend in Key Largo and we were lucky to have another friend join too. A girl’s weekend was the perfect way to explore the Florida Keys and will hopefully become an annual tradition.
5) In late August we headed Calgary to spend a week with friends and family. It was a jam-packed week that was topped off with one of the best concerts of my life – Linkin Park at Fort Calgary. It was a truly incredible experience.
6) This fall came with a few big life changes – a new job (still at the university) and the discovery that gluten has been making me ill for at least a few years and likely longer. Thankfully the new job is the perfect fit and I’ve adapted to life without many of my favourite foods and drinks and I’m feeling great. As an added bonus, the extra pounds I’ve been trying to shed for years are falling off with little effort. Here’s hoping that continues in 2013!
7) We woke up in our own bed for the first time in almost a decade this Christmas morning. To make it even more special, we got to wake up to two of our favourite little ones who are at the age that they still believe in Santa. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Christmas.
In addition, I have added so many amazing new friends to my life this year and become reacquainted with many others. I feel very fortunate to have some pretty incredible friends and family in my life.
Although the year hasn’t been all ups and there have been a few excruciatingly painful moments – my precious baby cousin became an angel and I lost a dear friend to cancer – I feel very fortunate to have been blessed with the year I had.
Thank you to all who have been a part of our life this year and wishing everyone near and far a happy, healthy 2013.